Lord Vader is a busy guy! I'm his secretary.

I help him stay organized. He's calmer that way. Less Force chokes happen then.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

A Loyalty Divided

"Yes, sir.  I will take care of it right away, sir."

I smile and nod once as the holo of Lord Vader fades from view.  As it fades, so does the smile that was on my face.


His orders are not what make my smile fade.  They are fairly mundane, as usual.  What crosses my mind is something much more serious, perhaps even dangerous for me.


I turn to look at the sleeping figure in the bed.  It is Maz, resting in the bed we share, on the shuttle that is taking us to Naboo, where we shall be wed.  The love of my life.  My future husband.


He is also a bounty hunter and a smuggler, among other things.  Working for the Hutts, dealing with clients that are less than savory.


Even, I suppose, some clients that would include Rebels.  Or Jedi. 


I watch him slumber for a while, my heart filled with love and affection.   This man, this wonderful man, that has only been in my life for such a short time, yet is now such an integral part of it that I can't imagine ever having him not be in my life.


I walk to the bed and lie beside him, still watching him sleep.  I lightly run my fingers through his hair, gently enough that I won't wake him.


If he has clients that are Rebels, or Rebel sympathizers, or - Maker forbid - Jedi, and Lord Vader finds out about it, my life could be in danger.  


But I know that Maz has to take what jobs he can.  This galaxy is a brutal one.  He has to do what he can for us to survive.


I lie awake for some time, thinking of the consequences of this marriage, this love that we share.


I make my decision.


My loyalty is to Maz.  Even if it costs me my life.


My mind at ease, I curl up with Maz, and fall asleep in his arms. 



8 comments:

  1. I hope everything will be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mina. I...*pause* I don't know what to say. I love you so much,Maker knows, so very, very much. But...please, don't risk your life for me. I couldn't bear to live with myself if anything happened to you because of me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby, I am sure everything will be fine. *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maz, I... *looks away for a moment, then turns back to you* I will be fine. *gently strokes your cheek* You have to do what your job requires. I will be careful, I swear. *kisses softly*

    ReplyDelete
  5. *kisses you back* Just know that I'd fight off the entire Empire, just for you to be safe by my side, love. *holds you tightly*

    ReplyDelete
  6. *holds you close, whispers* I know, love. I know. *kisses* I'll be safe. And careful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know how you feel. Sometimes I worry about Qwi and I, but then you just look at them, and you just *know* that you chose right. You feel...complete...you know?

    Also, when did Maz pop the question? Totally missed that one! Congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. *smiles* I know I made the right choice. Maz is amazing. A remarkable man.

    Maz actually proposed while we were off comm. *blushes*

    ReplyDelete